Cardinals have options when looking to free up salary cap space
GLENDALE, Ariz. – The Arizona Cardinals are in a better place salary cap wise after re-doing wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald’s contract. It saved them about $13 million in cap space. Earlier this week, Arizona released wide receiver/kick returner Ted Ginn, Jr., which saved them $2.5 million more on the cap.
Where else can the Cardinals trim on the roster to become even more competitive when free agency kicks off on March 10? Keep in mind that March 10 is also the day that each franchise has to be under the salary cap, which is estimated to be around $143 million.
Let’s take a look at the top 8 players who carry the biggest salary cap numbers into the 2015 season [Larry Fitzgerald is No. 4, so we’ll skip him, along with Daryl Washington, who is No. 7 on the list. His future with the Cardinals is yet to be determined]:
- Patrick Peterson. Peterson signed a five-year, $70.05 million contract last summer. His cap number for 2015 will be $14,791,200. His number breaks down like this: $11,619,114 goes to his salary, $3,072,377 is a prorated bonus and $250,000 is a workout bonus.
- Calais Campbell. Campbell has two more years left on his five-year, $55 million contract. His cap number this season will be $14.75 million. His number breaks down like this: $9 million is his base salary, $5.5 million is a prorated bonus and $250,000 is a workout bonus.
- Carson Palmer. Last November, Palmer signed a three-year, $49.5 million extension with Arizona. Palmer’s salary cap number for this coming season will be $14.5 million. Here’s his number breakdown: Palmer’s base salary is $1 million, but it’s actually a guaranteed $10.5 million with his $9.5 million roster bonus added on, which kicked in five days after Super Bowl XLIX. The other $4 million is a prorated bonus.
- Larry Fitzgerald.
- Darnell Dockett. Dockett is in the final year of a four-year, $35.3 million contract. His salary cap number will be $9.8 million, which breaks down like this: $6.55 million is his base salary, $3 million is a roster bonus and $250,000 is a workout bonus.
- Jared Veldheer. Veldheer signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Cardinals last March. His salary cap number for 2015 will be $8.5 million. $6.75 million of it goes toward his base salary [$3 million of it is guaranteed], $1.25 million is a prorated bonus and $500,000 is a roster bonus.
- Daryl Washington.
- Jerraud Powers. Powers is in the final year of a three-year, $10.5 million contract. Powers’ salary cap number for 2015 will be $5.35 million. $4.35 million of it is his base salary and $1 million of it is a prorated bonus.
All of these contract numbers are courtesy of OverTheCap.com.
- Previous Bruce Arians “flattered” to get contract extension from Cardinals
- Next Cardinals re-sign T Bradley Sowell, sign CB Damond Smith